I enjoy speaking and presenting on a variety of topics, including student learning assessment, community college libraries, metacognition, literacy, critical librarianship, information literacy, online teaching, and LGBTQ+ issues.
If you have questions about my past presentations or if you have a speaking opportunity that you think would be a good fit for me, please contact me: ztrope at gmail dot com.
Updated April 2018
- “To Lock or Not to Lock? Using Respondus Lockdown Browser for Secure Assessments.” IGNIS Webinar Series for the State Board of Community and Technical Colleges. Webinar. April 26, 2018.
- “Who Succeeds in Higher Education? Questioning the Connection Between Academic Libraries and Student Success.” Invited plenary session. California Academic & Research Libraries Conference. April 15, 2018.
- “‘They Do Everything on Their Phones!’: Why Mobile Device Accessibility Matters for Student Success.” Washington State Canvas Conference. March 30, 2018.
- “Observe, Reflect, Learn! Developing a Peer Teaching Observation Program in Your Library.” Canadian Library Assessment Workshop. Victoria, BC. October 27, 2017.
- “Changing Tides: Exploring Trends in Information Literacy Programs.” Panel moderator. ACRL WA/OR Joint Conference. Eatonville, WA. October 20, 2017.
- “Can We Demonstrate Library Value Without Violating Student Privacy?” Intellectual and Academic Freedom and the Academic Library Workshop. Colorado Academic Library Association. Denver, CO. July 21, 2017.
- “Applying the Framework to an Online Credit-Bearing Information Literacy Course.” Poster session at the Association of College and Research Libraries conference. Baltimore, MD. March 24, 2017.
- “Assessing RA: How to Measure Student Growth and Performance.” Metacognition & Mindfulness: Academic Literacies for the 21st Century, a Regional Reading Apprenticeship Conference. Renton, WA. March 11, 2017.
- “Thinking About Thinking about the Research Paper: Engaging Metacognition Throughout the Student Research Process.” Metacognition & Mindfulness: Academic Literacies for the 21st Century, a Regional Reading Apprenticeship Conference. Renton, WA. March 10, 2017.
- “Getting Students to Engage with Your Assigned Readings.” University of Colorado Denver Center for Faculty Development. Lunch & Learn Workshop. March 7, 2017.
- “The Post-Truth is Out There.” Virtual panel moderated by the University of Washington student chapter of the American Library Association. With Susan Hildreth, Sarah Houghton, and Martin Garnar. March 1, 2017.
- “Learning is Not A Service.” Library Assessments and Metrics Workshop. Colorado Academic Library Association. Denver, CO. November 18, 2016.
- “Is the Internet Racist?” Colorado Leadership for Equity, Advocacy, and Discovery Social Justice (CO-LEADS). Denver, CO. October 7, 2016. With Shea Swauger.
- “Unsuited for Age Group: Queer Youth Survival and the Freedom to Read.” In Celebration of Banned Books Week. Auraria Library, Denver, CO. September 29, 2016.
- “Pack Your Bags with Metacognition! Embedding Reading Skills in the Online Information Literacy Classroom.” Library Instruction West. Salt Lake City, UT. June 9, 2016.
- “Click, Click, Metacognition! How to Use Reading Apprenticeship in Online Courses.” California Reading Apprenticeship Conference. San Mateo, CA. May 14, 2016.
- “Click, Click, Metacognition! How to Use Reading Apprenticeship in the Online Classroom.” Metacognition & Mindfulness: Academic Literacies for the 21st Century, A Regional Reading Apprenticeship Conference. Renton, WA. March 12, 2016.
- “Reading Apprenticeship and Librarians.” Metacognition & Mindfulness: Academic Literacies for the 21st Century, A Regional Reading Apprenticeship Conference. Renton, WA. March 11, 2016. Invited workshop.
- “Finding Articles Is Not Enough: Developing Metacognitive Reading Skills in Information Literacy.” Association of College and Research Libraries Oregon/Washington Joint Conference. Eatonville, WA. October 22, 2015.
- “From Inquiry Questions to Search Terms: Using Reading Apprenticeship in Information Literacy Instruction.” Metacognition and Mindfulness: Academic Literacies for the 21st Century, A Regional Reading Apprenticeship Conference. Renton Technical College. Renton, WA. March 14, 2015. With Rachel Goon.
- “Getting to the ‘Why’: Mindset, Motivation, and Student Learning.” Washington State University Vancouver Library Faculty In-Service. Vancouver, WA. February 17, 2015. Invited presentation.
- “Live The Question, Love The Question: Embracing Inquiry-Based Learning In The One-Shot.” Library Instruction West. Portland, OR. July 24, 2014.
- “Splashes of Color: Quick and Easy Active Learning Assessments in Your Library Classroom.” LOEX Conference. Grand Rapids, MI. May 9, 2014. With Elise Ferer and Maoria Kirker.